Tags

, , , , , ,

After having a slightly frustrating experience with the combination of the fluffy Reverie yarn and the cable cast on tension issue, I decided to go back and take a close look at my normal long tail cast on. I really do like the long tail cast on and its many variations. I like the fact that I am making my foundation cast on chain of loops and successfully knitting through them at the same time to make a solid and stable start of my knitting. It feels secure, it looks nice, and it is just stretchy enough for the tops of my socks. However, I’m not trying to start a new pair of socks at the moment. I’m trying to start a garment and I’ve been looking for a more seamless transition to do so.

IMG_20160809_100342So, I decided to take the time and learn how to do the long tail cast on in purl. Surprisingly, it was pretty easy to do since I’ve spent the past several years doing the long tail cast on. Of course, I practiced doing it with some spare cotton yarn I had in my stash so I could see my stitches better. It looks really good with two by two ribbing, but I also think it would work well with odd cast on numbers like three by one ribbing. It doesn’t look completely seamless like tubular ribbing does, but it comes pretty close. Only another knitter would really be able to tell and that is only if they examined the cast on.

Because the yarn is so fuzzy, I didn’t want to do the traditional long tail “guess how much yarn you might need” or “estimate the yarn by wrapping stitches”. Instead, I went ahead and cast on using two balls of yarn since I still had a good amount of yarn left over from my swatching. The only slightly annoying thing about doing that is I have three ends to weave in as apposed to one end, but I would rather deal with weaving in a few more ends than risking ripping out the fuzzy, easy to tangle yarn.

Cabled Hooded Vest 3

I have about an inch of ribbing on my needles right now.  The pattern calls for the slightly smaller needle for the ribbing so that the designer didn’t have to worry about figuring out 10% fewer stitches and then figure out how to attractively increase that number to get the correct size. This is where I am so happy that I have an interchangeable needle set. When I am ready for the body I can just swap out the needle tips and carry on knitting. But, that won’t be for a little while. Hopefully once it grows some more, it will be easier to take a good picture of it. The yarn is so dark it is hard to get a good detail picture of it currently and I am really hoping that it won’t stay anti-photogenic for the entire project.

 

Advertisements